Historical Maps of Illinois
Journey back in time with 4,186 historical maps of Illinois, dating from 1888 to present day. Explore and discover the history of Illinois through detailed topographic maps, featuring cities, landmarks, and geographical changes. Dive deeper into each map with our interactive high-resolution viewer and extensive library data. Every map in our collection is also available for purchase as a framed or unframed museum-quality print for those interested interested in bringing a part of history into their home. Begin your historical adventure now!
- 1888 Map of St. Louis1888 St. Louis MapMadison County, IL1888 print1:62500 scale
- 1889 Map of Chicago1889 Chicago MapChicago, IL1889 print1:62500 scale
- 1890 Map of Des Plaines1890 Des Plaines MapDes Plaines, IL1890 print1:62500 scale
- 1890 Map of Louisiana1890 Louisiana MapPike County, IL1890 print1:125000 scale
- 1890 Map of Louisiana, 1896 Print1890 Louisiana MapPike County, IL1896 print1:125000 scale
- 1890 Map of Louisiana, 1905 Print1890 Louisiana MapPike County, IL1905 print1:125000 scale
- 1890 Map of Louisiana, 1913 Print1890 Louisiana MapPike County, IL1913 print1:125000 scale
- 1890 Map of Louisiana, 1932 Print1890 Louisiana MapPike County, IL1932 print1:125000 scale
- 1891 Map of Chicago1891 Chicago MapChicago, IL1891 print1:62500 scale
- 1891 Map of Clinton1891 Clinton MapCarroll County, IL1891 print1:62500 scale
Top cities of Illinois
Top counties of Illinois
Frequently asked questions about Illinois historical maps
Can I purchase a physical print of a historical map of Illinois?
Yes! Every map in our collection can be purchased as a museum-quality print that we meticulously lay out by hand to ensure the highest quality final product. We offer a variety of sizes and prints can be either framed or unframed. Explore purchase options by clicking the "Buy Print" button on any map page.
Why are historical maps of Illinois important for research and professional purposes?
Historical maps of Illinois offer a unique perspective on an area's past, making them invaluable for environmental consultants, surveyors, legal professionals, geneologists, historians, and hobbyists alike. They are used in environmental site assessments, lot line research, and land dispute resolution.
What types of historical maps are available for Illinois?
Our diverse collection includes detailed topographic maps from the United States Geological Survey's Historical Topographic Map Collection as well as from a variety of public and private collections we've sourced, each providing a unique glimpse into Illinois's past. We'll soon begin to offer historical aerial images as well.
What advanced features do you offer for professional use?
We offer advanced features including 3D terrain visualization, georeferencing, customizeable base maps, multi-layering capabilities, and annotation tools. These features allow for in-depth analysis, customization, and report building utilizing our historical map collection.
How can I find a specific historical map of Illinois?
Our platform has over 185,000 fully digitized and interactive maps, and 4,186 maps available specifically for Illinois. You can easily filter and search by address, place, date, scale, or landmark to find the specific map they need, or browse our collection by city, county, and state.
How can I contribute a historical map of Illinois that's not in your collection?
We welcome contributions! If you have a map that isn't in our collection, reach out to us at email@example.com. We can assist with digitizing individual maps or entire collections.
What is the oldest map of Illinois in your collection?
The oldest map of Illinois in our collection is from 1888.
How can I download a map of Illinois?
Every map in our collection can be freely downloaded as a high-resolution GeoTIFF or GeoPDF file. You can use this file with mapping software or print it out for personal use.